Job: Full-time reporter/researcher to cover press freedom issues in the United States
Position: Full-time reporter/researcherSubject: Press freedom in the United StatesLocation: San Francisco or New York
Freedom of the Press Foundation is looking to hire a full-time journalist/researcher to lead a project that will comprehensively document alarming press freedom incidents in the United States. The candidate will coordinate with a coalition of other local and national press freedom groups across the country and will document cases affecting journalists on a yet-to-be-launched website.
The ideal candidate should have at least 2 years of reporting experience, strong organizational skills, an interest for protecting the rights of journalists, and be self-motivated and passionate about their work
The candidate’s responsibilities will include:
- Comprehensively documenting all journalist arrests, border stops, equipment seizures, leak prosecutions and other categories of incidents that violate the rights of journalists in the United States.
- Coordinating with other press freedom groups in the country to verify these press freedom violations, then catalogue these incidents into a new website. The coalition will include Committee to Protect Journalists, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, Index on Censorship and others.
- Writing blog posts and alerts on specific cases, as well as sharing them on social media.
- At least 2 years of reporting and researching experience.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage a coalition consisting of a variety of organizations.
- Willingness to pick up the phone and follow up on story leads, verify information, and stay on top of developing news.
- The ability to quickly write up breaking stories about press freedom violations.
- Strong social media skills to disseminate and amplify stories in a compelling way.
- Passion about press freedom issues and protecting the rights of journalists.
Please send a resume and a short cover letter explaining why you think you would be perfect for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. We expect to hire someone within six weeks, for a start date of May 1st or sooner.